How to choose the best tiles for your tiling project
Tiles can be a stunning addition, however careful consideration and planning is needed to ensure the project is a great success. We know how daunting it can be to choose the perfect tiles, but our team have some great tips to help you find the best options. If you are wondering how to choose the best tiles for your project, we are here to help with this quick guide.
1. Find a style you like
Before you dive into scouring tile shops, we always recommend browsing the internet, social media pages and magazines to find an interior style you like. If you are carrying out a major renovation to a property, you will have a fresh slate to work with, however if you are planning on simply updating areas such as a tiled bathroom floor or a kitchen backsplash, you will need to consider the existing interior style. For a consistent finish, you should match the new tiles to the paint colours, wallpaper and other furnishings that will be kept in the room.
2. Decide on your tile size
Once you have an overall style in mind, it is time to choose the best tile sizes. In general, small tiles are ideal for small tiled areas such as shower enclosures, backsplashes and focal features. For more expansive areas such as entire floors, larger tiles are the ideal option as the size will help to make the room feel more spacious. A great tip is to use larger tiles on the floor with small tiles on the walls, as the proportions will work well regardless of the room size.
3. Consider the colour options
The colour is often the most important design consideration, so think about the overall feel you want to create. For example, are you looking to create a calm and relaxing space or a dramatic atmosphere? Or, are you tiling a full room or looking to add a contrasting focal feature?
If you are tiling a small room, lighter tile colours will help to add a sense of space to the room, with creams, beige, whites and pastel colours ideal for creating a light, spacious and calming feel. However, within larger rooms it is possible be braver with your colour choices, and with tiles available in a range of bold and vibrant tones there are plenty of design options. The following are some great colour tips to help you choose the best tiles:
• White – This is a great colour for those looking to create a modern, spacious and clean feel. Not only will the room feel much bigger, but the timeless colour will make it easy to find matching items.
• Dark greys, browns and blacks – The darker the colour, the more luxurious the finish will be. These are also great colours for rooms which need to be able to withstand wear and tear, as the colours will hide dirt and marks well.
• Neutral creams and beiges – Creams and beiges are often popular choices, and the subtle tones are suited for many tile finishes including stone-effect and marble-effect finishes. The natural tones are easy to match to a range of interior styles, and the versatile colours will stand the test of time.
• Light greys – This is another great option for those who prefer neutral décor, however they can also be used to enhance bold focal tiles. This versatile colour is also suited to small spaces, where the light colour will create an interesting contrast when paired with other colours and patterns.
• Patterned tiles – There are many beautiful patterned tiles available, with styles that incorporate a range of colours. If you are looking to create a bold finish, we recommend choosing patterned tiles with bright colours, or for a rich and more luxurious feel, complementary neutral colours will work well.
4. Choose the tile material and finish
Next, you need to decide whether to use man-made tiles such as porcelain and ceramic, or natural stone finishes. The most versatile choices are available within man-made ranges, and in general they are the more affordable choice. Both porcelain and ceramic tiles can be used on walls, but if you are tiling a floor it is recommended to use harder and more durable porcelain tiles.
It is also possible to choose a finish, with matt and gloss options both being popular choices. If you are looking for a finish which is easy to clean with resistance to staining, we recommend choosing a polished gloss finish.
Many of us spend time carefully choosing the perfect tiles, but it is also important to consider the colour of your grout. If you are installing plain, simple tiles, a contrasting grout will help to enhance the tiles and your chosen layout, such as pairing black or dark grey grout with white tiles. Alternatively, if you want to create a more subtle finish, we recommend choosing a grout colour which matches your chosen tiles.
Navarro TiIes – Supplying wholesale tiles throughout the UK & Ireland
We hope that our quick guide has provided the tips you need to choose the best tiles for your tiling project, and to help you get off to a great start our extensive range is available to view here. Our wide variety of high-quality tiles are available within tile shops throughout the UK and Ireland, and our team will guide you to your nearest stockist.
Alternatively, if you are a tile shop looking to add to your range, our team will be happy to visit your store and introduce you to our range. To find out more, please contact us today.